Search Entire Site

Sign up here for the Code Red Emergency Warning System for Bourbon County

Vehicle Registration

Effective January 1, 2000, Kansas Law requires EVERYONE show proof of insurance on all motor vehicle transactions.  Renewals done by mail will need to include a COPY of the proof of insurance along with the renewal notice.  No exceptions.  K.S.A. 8-173.

It is possible to renew your license plates online.  Follow the web tags link below.


Courtesy Notification of renewal of license plates is mailed by the Kansas Department of Revenue about 45 days prior to your expiration date. Trucks over 12,000 lbs. and Trailers are due the last day of February


Not sure when your tags are due?  Check the chart below.

A February 28
B March 31
C & D April 30
E, F & G May 31
H & I June 30
J, K & L July 31
M, N & O August 31
P, Q & R September 30
S October 31
T, V & W November 30
U, X, Y & Z December 31

Care should be used to preserve your Title Application/Vehicle Registration, as it is necessary to present to the Motor Vehicle Department when making transfer of this vehicle.


When a vehicle is sold and not replaced, you may be eligible for a prorated tax and/or tag refund.  Application should be made in the Motor Vehicle Department (1st Floor) Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.  This should be done prior to the last working day of the month the vehicle was sold to maximize the refund.  Your tag and registration are required to get a refund.

If you have any questions, call the Tag Office at 620-223-3800.


Verification of out of state titles must be done prior to registering in Kansas.  All vehicles titled in a state other than Kansas must be inspected by the Sheriff prior to registration in Kansas.  VIN inspections are done Mondays and Thursdays from 12:30 – 1:30 pm in the south Law Enforcement Center parking lot.  The cost of the inspection is $20.00.  Effective July 1, 2011. Out of State salvage or rebuilt titles need to be inspected by the Highway Patrol on Monday from 12-2:00 in the South Parking Lot of the Courthouse. Questions about these can be answered by calling Troop H Headquarters 620-431-2100.

Failure to apply for a title in your name within thirty (30) days from the purchase date may result in additional interest and penalties being assessed.


Contact the County Appraiser when selling mobile home, trailer, moped or trucks over 12,000 lbs.