March 2, 2021 Election Results (Official) can be viewed here.
For the 2021 City of Fort Scott Sales Tax Question Special Election, the random selection of precincts to be audited will take place on Thursday, March 4th at 3:00 pm in the Bourbon County Commission room, 210 S. National, Fort Scott, KS 66701. The audit will be on Monday, March 8th, 2021 at 9:00 am in the Bourbon County Commission room.
January 5, 2021 Election Results (official) can be viewed here.
***Notice of March 2, 2021 Special Election***
*Advance voting at the Courthouse will begin on Monday, February 22nd, 2021. Hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Advance voting ends at noon on March 1st, 2021. Remember to bring your photo ID with you to vote. Only voters that reside in the City limits of Fort Scott, Kansas will vote at this Special Election.
CITY OF FORT SCOTT, KANSAS
Notice is hereby given to the qualified electors of the City of Fort Scott, Kansas (the “City”) that a special question election has been called and will be held on March 2, 2021, for the purpose of submitting to the qualified electors of the City the following proposition:
Shall the following be adopted?
Shall the City of Fort Scott, Kansas be authorized to impose a one-half percent (0.5%) City-wide retailers’ sales tax (the “Sales Tax”), the proceeds of which shall be used for the purpose of financing the following costs and related expenditures: (a) 90% of the proceeds for street improvements, sidewalks, bike lanes, and curb and gutter, and (b) 10% of the proceeds for parks and community facilities; with the collection of the Sales Tax to: (1) commence on the expiration of the existing 0.5% special Citywide retailers’ sales tax that financed the costs of the construction and equipping of a new municipal swimming pool and related appurtenances thereto, constructing an addition and making renovations to the existing Buck Run Community Center and related appurtenances thereto (which is expected to be July 1, 2021); and (2) expire five (5) years after its commencement; all pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 12-187 et seq., as amended?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
To vote in favor of any question submitted on this ballot, completely darken the oval to the left of the word “YES”. To vote against it, completely darken the oval to the left of the word “NO”.
The polls will open at 7:00 A.M. and will close at 7:00 P.M., on March 2, 2021, the Election Day. The voting places in the City and the area each voting place will serve will be as follows:
Voters Residing In Precinct Will Vote At Location
1st Ward Community Christian Church 1919 S. Horton, Fort Scott, KS 66701
2nd Ward Grace Baptist Church 502 S. Margrave, Fort Scott, KS 66701
3rd Ward Grace Baptist Church 502 S. Margrave, Fort Scott, KS 66701
4th Ward Community Christian Church 1919 S. Horton, Fort Scott, KS 66701
5th Ward Community Christian Church 1919 S. Horton, Fort Scott, KS 66701
6th Ward Community Christian Church 1919 S. Horton, Fort Scott, KS 66701
7th Ward Grace Baptist Church 502 S. Margrave, Fort Scott, KS 66701
*The voting machines will be tested on February 25th, 2021 at 2:00 pm at the Bourbon County Courthouse.
*The Board of County Canvassers will meet at 10:00 am on March 11th to finalize the election results; those persons who were required to vote a provisional ballot due to lack of acceptable ID, will have until 10:00 am on March 11th, 2021 to provide acceptable ID to the County Clerk’s office for ballot determination.
You may register to vote online, through the Kansas Secretary of State’s website.
Check your voter registration status, the location of your polling place and view a sample ballot at VoterView by the Secretary of State.
The County Clerk is elected in November of Presidential Election years to a term of four years. There are no term limits to this elected office.
The Bourbon County Clerk/Election Officer is responsible for a wide range of things under Kansas Law. Some of those are listed here.
Advance Voting is available prior to each election. You may advance vote in one of two ways: By mail, by filing an application for a ballot to be mailed to you OR in-person, beginning at least one week prior to any election.
Bourbon County Clerk Duties:
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commission meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps meeting minutes; maintains proceedings of Commission meetings, including all contracts and agreements entered into by the County.
- Prepares annual budgets for most townships and fire districts and all cemeteries, watersheds and light districts in the County.
- Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, cities, townships, the community college, school districts, and all special districts.
- Compiles, calculates, and prepares tax levies.2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Prepares real estate, personal property, and state assessed tax roll, including special assessments, and certifies to County Treasurer.
- Accumulates and files a bonded indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the County.
- Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintains voter database; accepts filings for public office; keeps financial statements of expenses from county, city, school district candidates.
- Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all County departments; receives all claims filed against the County.
- Provides checks and balance to property transfers, motor vehicle collections and Treasurer’s daily ledger activities.
- Serves as the County Freedom of Information Officer.
- Maintains fixed asset inventory for the County.
- Provides assistance to County residents in preparing Homestead Property Tax Refund and Food Sales Tax Applications for the Kansas Department of Revenue.
- Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments outside the city limits and issues Firework Permits to stands throughout the County for 4th of July week.
- Issues Kansas Wildlife and Park permits.